https://zurapps.com/all/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/tech_statement.jpg 149 151 Jennifer http://zurapps.com/all/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/logoOriginal200x100.png Jennifer2015-04-28 14:54:302018-06-06 11:39:01Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs Serving Children from Birth through Age 8
Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs Serving Children from Birth through Age 8
Television was once the newest technology in our homes, and then came videos and computers. Today’s children are growing up in a rapidly changing digital age that is far different from that of their parents and grandparents. A variety of technologies are all around us in our homes, offices, and schools. When used wisely, technology and media can support learning and relationships. Enjoyable and engaging shared experiences that optimize the potential for children’s learning and development can support children’s relationships both with adults and their peers.
- When used intentionally and appropriately, technology and interactive media are effective tools to support learning and development.
- Intentional use requires early childhood teachers and administrators to have information and resources regarding the nature of these tools and the implications of their use with children.
- Limitations on the use of technology and media are important.
- Special considerations must be given to the use of technology with infants and toddlers.
- Attention to digital citizenship and equitable access is essential.
- Ongoing research and professional development are needed.